May is National Bike Month and we’ve got 4 tips on how you can spend more time on your bike.
National Bike Month was established in 1956 as a way to encourage and remind people just how awesome biking is. And many of us do know whether riding your bike to work, going for a long road ride or cruising to the park with the family, biking just makes getting from point A to point B that much more fun. Check out our tips or challenge yourself, how many have you done on two wheels?
4 Tips To Get More Bike In Your Life (or just in the month of May if you want…)
1. Bike to Work Commute Challenge
Make it a morning routine - fill up coffee, munch some breakfast, grab the computer bag, toss on the helmet and hop on your bike!
Ideas to get others on two wheels:
- Have your office sign up for a commute challenge - there are several online programs to join like the Bike More Challenge
- Add in a little healthy competition with some fun prizes
- Form teams to encourage your colleagues to join
- Take the one-day National Bike to Work Day challenge on May 17. See fun photos from last year.
2. Pedal Your Weekend Errands Away
Think of the short stops we all make on the weekends zigzagging around town. Why not jump on your bike and probably get there faster!
Ideas on fun errands to make with your pedal power:
- Get your blood flowing before the bloody marys start flowin’ at Sunday brunch
- Pick up veggies at the Farmers Market
- Grab your afternoon pick-me-up coffee
- PRO TIP! Add a basket to your ride to hold all your things or find some handy side or saddle bags.
3. Families That Ride Together, Have More Fun Together!
Get helmets and wheels for the whole family. Make family bike outings a new tradition to burn some energy and get more quality time in.
Ideas on fun family bike adventures:
- Wanna go to the park? Let’s ride there!
- Days are getting longer, how about after dinner rides?
- A little dirt never hurt! Hit up a local mountain bike park and cruise around the beginner trails.
- Let the kids ride at the house by placing a few bright orange traffic cones on your street to slow down neighborhood traffic
- PRO TIP! Need bikes for the kiddos? Save some money and check out second-hand sites like Bike Exchange, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace or find a local gear swap shop.
4. All Around Townie Ride
It’s kind of like choose your own adventure… get a group of friends (those with bikes helps), make a route and go! Exploring your town from two wheels will give a new perspective and add some fun.
- Try a different flavor at each of your local ice cream shops
- Visit a few of your local pubs
- Get buzzed at a few coffee shops
- The options are endless… where in your town have you not explored yet? Museums? Book stores?
- PRO TIP! Throw a few lights on your bike just in case those ice cream and pub stops end after sunset. Find more smart cycling tips at The League of American Bicyclists
There are so many great reasons to hop on your bike. We hope these quick ideas will get you and the whole family rolling into National Bike Month excited and venturing out on your two wheels.